Monday, December 15, 2008

Watching Football in the West Is Hard

(Originally written on Sunday, Sept. 26, 2008, but later updated)

I slept until 11:15 a.m. today. Which means I actually slept until 1:15 p.m. Which means I missed the kick offs of the early NFL games.

Fuck. Watching football in the West is hard. It is also absolutely mind blowing.

On Saturday, I was invited to the house of a University of Georgia graduate here in Jackson to watch the Georgia-LSU game. The party was being hosted by my best friend's wife's work friend's best friend.

Got that?

Anyway, I am told that approximately a dozen people will be at her house to watch the Georgia-LSU game. It is the CBS game, which means it kicks off at 1:30 p.m., which means it really kicks off at 3:30 p.m. (I refuse to acknowledge Mountain Time when referring to football kickoffs.)

At approximately 1 p.m., I arrive at the house.

Inside the house, humans are struggling for dominance. There are 12 people and nine dogs. I was not prepared for this kind of human-to-pet ratio. We are almost outnumbered by these beasts.

There are dogs everywhere. In the house. On the back deck. In the kitchen.

Inside the living room, there is a high definition TV, lots of seating and about four to five girls here in Dawgs regalia. They are all UGA graduates, cheering on the Dawgs. One of them is actually shaking a pom-pom in her living room.

This is the kind of environment I thrive in.

As the afternoon progresses, I'm having really intelligent conversations with these Georgia girls about SEC football: Fulmer's job security, Vandy's descent back into mediocrity, whether or not A.J. Green is Jesus in cleats.

I feel right at home. It's almost like I'm sitting in someone's living room on Milledge Ave., except that I can see the Grand Tetons from the kitchen window.

That's the interesting part. But here's the weird part. There are about six dudes here, but none care about football at all. They are not even really watching the game, and frequently get up and walk in front of the TV screen on critical third down plays.

I think I underestimated how much it would bother me being removed from people who care about football.

I spent the last 13 years getting paid to cover SEC football. It was my job. I love the sport in weird and passionate ways.

That's why I am about to punch the guy sitting next to me at the bar during the SEC Championship game. This is actually what he actually said to me after Tebow ran the ball on 1st and goal at the 5:

"You know, that Tebow only runs the ball because he wants all the glory."

If this man had instead just turned and barfed on my arm, I would have been less disappointed in him. I felt like a 12th grader who was inexplicably sent back to 3rd grade. And here I am, an 18-year-old spending hours in a room with a bunch of 10-year-olds being told how to subtract.

Watching football in public in the Rocky Mountains (Colorado, Wyoming, etc.) is horrifying. My favorite is when a group of four walks into the bar on a Saturday night and says, "Ohhh. Look. College football. I wonder who's playing?"

Recently, I went to lunch with 10 coworkers. Five were male. There were three bowl games on and not once did any of the males look at the game or even acknowledge games were on.

I'm not sure about some of the guys out here. They're just really weird.

I am having a hard time respecting the guys out here.

9 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Pops said...

Did somebody say something about the Dawgs?

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man you should keep writing.

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

鴛鴦吧成人,免費視訊,交友戀愛小站,尼克成人,383成人,成人漫畫,八國聯軍成人,正妹視訊,一葉晴貼圖片區,免費交友,080視訊聊天室,成人圖片,a片貼圖,080視訊聊天室,豆豆聊天室13 15歲,情色貼圖,色聊天室,情色貼圖,免費視訊,情色漫畫,哈啦聊天室,丁字褲美女影片,正妹計時器,666成人光,成人視訊,104 貼圖區,85cc成人片觀看,視訊,視訊做愛,0204貼圖區,嘟嘟成人網,正妹相簿,只有貼圖片區,正妹桌面,38ga成人,正妹空姐寫真,美女交友,ccn正妹牆,正妹找樂子,台灣美女寫真貼圖區,

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

0951成人頻道下載,免費視訊聊天,成人網站,色情守門員,成人貼圖區,成人視訊,自拍美女,0204貼圖區,聊天室ut,ec成人,成人視訊,哈啦聊天室,dodo豆豆聊天室,台灣情色網,69成人,小高聊天室,免費交友,咆哮成人繁體,貼圖片區,正妹百人斬,正妹走光,正妹桌布,免費視訊聊天,1069交友,美女交友,080視訊聊天室,6k聊天館,巨乳,失落的世界聊天,色聊天室,成人視訊,玩美女人,嘟嘟成人網,情色交友網,成人電影,影音視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,交友聯誼,av美女,

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

成人視訊聊天正妹百人斬美眉共和國美女女同志聊天室一葉情貼圖片區情色文學666成人情色論壇情色視訊情色視訊情色視訊777成人區聊天室成人視訊聊天成人視訊Uthome後宮電影電影院免費視訊辣妹正宗自拍美女aooyy

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous オテモヤン said...

オナニー
逆援助
SEX
フェラチオ
ソープ
逆援助
出張ホスト
手コキ
おっぱい
フェラチオ
中出し
セックス
デリヘル
包茎
逆援
性欲

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
I've read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

my weblog; excise
My web site :: chiropodist

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.

Short but very accurate info… Thanks for sharing this one.
A must read article!

my web page :: "coheir"

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have уou еver thought about including a little bit morе than just your articles?

I mean, ωhat yоu say is іmрortant and everything.
But imagіne if you added sοme great images οr
videos to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is exсеllent but with pіcs and videos, thiѕ
blog could certainly be one of the vеry best in its niсhe.
Aωesome blog!

Here is my wеb-site: htc diet
Also see my web page: fda hcg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home